What People Think About the Dress Code

More stories from Catherine Becker

The dress code is a very touchy topic for some students and teachers. Some students get treated unfairly by teachers for example with their shorts. They changed the rule to finger tip length or mid thigh and some students have long legs or long arms, so it is harder for them since they have to find finger tip length or mid thigh shorts to wear during school hours. When teachers dress code a student the student starts arguing with them. When it comes to the dress code there is a committee of students that are chose by teachers that think they would be great for the committee. They decide what in the dress code can change or what can stay the same.

Rebel Yell: Do you think anything can change in the dress code?
Mr. Gildemeister: Yes, things always change in the dress code because different styles and trends come and go. I have sat in code of conduct and dress meeting here and there for the last 15 years and trust me, it is different today than back then.
RY: What is your opinion on the dress code?
MG: Dress wear is a tricky topic because certain vestiture can offend and or distract people around you, so it is important to consider the culture of the community when making decisions.
RY: Do you think everyone will follow the dress code if it changes?
MG: If it is enforced, yes. It is our job to enforce the dress code. The bigger question is, why would students not follow a dress code that was developed by the community and the students of this school? Understanding this more in depth could help the group make informed decisions. So many times, people or students complain and say, “It is stupid.” I am interested in know, why is it stupid. As students, you have the privilege of being heard and articulating your thoughts. I would suggest any change be followed up by a well written letter to the committee to consider. This is excellent practice for students to learn so that they can effectively change laws and regulations out in the world as they live in it.

RY: Do you think anything in the dress code can change?
Ms. Ralston: Each year we review the Code of Conduct with a committee of students, teachers, administration, and parents. We do this so everyone has their opportunity to voice concerns, opinions, and suggestions for changes to the current Code of Conduct and dress code. As styles and fashion change, it is important that we look at the dress code to adjust as necessary.
MR: My motto has always been this: The way you dress is a reflection of the respect you have for the work that you do. I think dress codes are a good way to keep parameters, but tasteful dress, respectful, and appropriate clothing is a reflection of you as an individual.
MR: Regardless of what we change, there are always people who test the limits. The important thing is that we as a school implement a dress code with the best interest of our students in mind. When there are dress code violations it is up to us to ensure it is consistently enforced.

RY: Do you think anything can change in the dress code?
Mr. Ullman (Caps in original email): I DOUBT IT! I THINK THE COMMITTEE IS JUST COSMETIC – DESIGNED TO CREATE THE ILLUSION THAT TEACHERS AND STUDENTS HAVE A SAY WHEN THEY REALLY DON’T. PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN ON THIS COMMITTEE IN THE PAST HAVE SAID THAT NO SERIOUS CONSIDERATION WAS EVER GIVEN TO MAKING ANY REAL CHANGES.
MU: I BELIEVE WE NEED STANDARDS, AND I KNOW INAPPROPRIATE DRESS WHEN I SEE IT. BUT THE PRESENT ONE IS TOO ARBITRARY AND OUTDATED. THE FINGER TIP LENGTH RULE IS STUPID, AND BASED IN PART ON THE LENGTH OF A PERSON’S ARMS. I DON’T THINK SHORTS SHOULD BE AS HIGH AS A THONG OR A BIKINI BRIEF, BUT WHO FREAKING CARES IF THIGHS AREN’T COMPLETELY COVERED? I ALSO DON’T CARE ABOUT SHOULDERS OR SPAGHETTI STRAPS. THE DRESS CODE, AS CURRENTLY CONSTRUCTED, IS MARGINALLY TILTED AGAINST FEMALES. I DON’T BUY THE SLIPPERY SLOPE ARGUMENT THAT IF YOU ALLOW SHOULDERS AND THIGHS TO BE SHOWN, YOU’LL END UP WITH HALTER TOPS AND BIKINIS.
MU: NO
RY: What do you think is wrong with the dress code?
MU: IN ADDITION TO WHAT I WROTE ABOVE, I’M TOLD IT’S INCONSISTENTLY ENFORCED (I HAVEN’T PERSONALLY WITNESSED THIS THOUGH). I ADMIT TO NOT ENFORCING IT, UNLESS A KID SHOWS UP WITH AN ARTICLE OF CLOTHING THAT HAS PROFANITY OR VULGARITY EXPRESSED ON IT. ALSO, WE (WELL, NOT ME) SPEND WAY TOO MUCH TIME POLICING MINOR STUFF LIKE FLAVORED DRINKS AND EXPOSED SHOULDERS WHEN HARD CORE DESTRUCTION OF PROPERTY AND EDUCATIONALLY DISRUPTIVE BEHAVIOR GETS SLAPS ON THE WRIST.

Ms. Grillo: Yes, I don’t think we need one I think it needs to be based on functionality and whether or not the clothes says something offensives people or says something offensive. I don’t think it should be based on what one person thinks is to sexualized
MS: I don’t think we need one I think it needs to be based on functionality and should be based on whether or not promotes hate speech or stuff like that. It doesn’t need to be based on whether it is to sexualized or when it comes to guys the cut off sleeves are whether or not to casual
MS: If it is based on functionality, yes
MS: I think what is wrong with is that it is to specific toward things that do not matter and things that do not distract from teaching or learning.

Kate Howe: No. I don’t think the dress will change. It has specific rules for a reason. School is a place to learn, not a fashion show. No matter how many girls say that their short shorts, exposed shoulders, or whatever they are wearing is not distracting, it is to someone.
KH: I think the dress code is a good starting point for what kids are allowed to wear and not wear, but I think there are a few problems within the system. In the Code of Conduct, students aren’t allowed to wear shirts without sleeves unless it covers your entire shoulder and has the seem, but everyday I see boys walk into school with a t-shirt on that they cut the sleeves off. Gym class is even worse. Sometimes I see shirts made into crop tops for guys, barely covering anything, showing their entire abdomen. If girls would get in trouble for wearing crop tops, why aren’t boys getting in trouble? Another thing— let’s say two girls are wearing the same shorts. One girl is tall and the other is short. Usually the girl who is taller gets talked to by a teacher about the shorts she is wearing because more of her skin is showing but the shorter girl isn’t spoken to. Throughout the school year, I’ve seen a kid get dress coded for the exact same outfit that another kid wore the previous day who wasn’t spoken to. If teachers only enforce the dress code on certain people, then the people who can get away with it will start wearing more promiscuous clothing. I think that if anything is hanging out of your shirt, shorts, or skirt, then you should not be able to wear it to school. I have problems with the fingertip length rule for shorts because my arms are so long. If it is hot out, I’m always nervous going to school even if I’m wearing my longest shorts because they “don’t follow the dress code” although they are fairly modest shorts. I know I’m not the only one who feels this way because I see girls all the time when it’s 90 degrees in the school wearing jeans because they know they’ll get dress coded for wearing shorts.
KH: If the dress code changes, I do not think that everyone will follow it. There are always kids who will break the guidelines no matter how fair the rules are. There is always going to be that girl who will wear extremely short shorts or that guy who is wearing a crop top tank to school. But if the staff and teachers enforce the dress code equally to everyone, then there shouldn’t be a problem.
KH: I don’t think there is anything wrong with the dress code. I think that there is trouble enforcing the dress code. When a kid gets away with breaking the dress code once, then they’ll plan to wear that same outfit another day, breaking it again. It’s a cycle.

Alyssa Bump: I feel that the shoulder rule is unreasonable. There is nothing inappropriate about shoulders considering the fact that everyone has them and tank tops are a common item worn by both genders. I understand that there should still be no spaghetti straps, but there are some really cute tank tops that I have that I cannot wear due to the dress code.
AB: For the most part, it is fairly reasonable. As I stated above however, the shoulder rule should be revoked.
AB: Not everyone is going to follow the rules no matter how hard we try to make the dress code fair.
AB: The shoulder rule mainly.

In my opinion the dress code is just pointed towards the females, yes the boys do get dress coded for some of their clothing, but females get enforced more then the guys do. I don’t think we need uniforms, but we do need to change some of the rules in dress code. No one should be able to get away with breaking the dress code, everyone should be treated the same way.