CRCS’s Very Own Competition Cheerleading Squad

Catherine Becker, Staff Writer

Here at CRCS we have our very own Winter Competition Cheerleading squad. CR’s cheer squad has not have any competitions yet, but they cheer at the varsity boys basketball games. The cheerleading squad has been very excited for the first varsity home game since they finally get to cheer and show their school spirt and also show off what they have been working on at practice.

Competition cheer is not just about being flexible, it’s also about how well you can work with a team and it shows you what a real team looks like. Competition cheerleading is much more than clapping you’re hands and looking pretty, you have to memorize moves and stay in sync with your fellow teammates. You have to lift girls in the air above your head and make sure they never hit the ground. It is unlike any other sport because everyone is involved. It is not like you get subbed in; you are always the starting line up, so everything you do matters. People say cheerleading is not a sport, but to some people it is. Cheerleading to me is a real sport especially since you have to have at least ten people to be able to have a team it is just like soccer you have to have eleven people on a team.

I had to get some information on our cheerleading squad, so I decided to interview a sophomore student named Alyssa Bump. She knows a lot about cheerleading, especially since it is her second year doing competition cheer. Between two years of watching at the varsity boys basketball, I think the team has improved and gotten better throughout each competition and practices.

Here at CRCS they are 21 students on the squad. There is Alyssa Bump, Breanna Bump, Beth Hitchcock, Meghan Bradley, Alyssa Scott, Brooklyn Auman, Maddy Nugent, Erin Bradley, Megan Mattison, Kaylee Eddy, Logan Kelley, Sydney Williams, Neveah Peacock, Khayla Joy, Caileigh bump, Averi Saulter, Kaitlyn Trapero, Keisey Tufino, Keilah Tufino, and Autumn Michalski. This year their coach is Nikki Jones. Alyssa favorite thing about her coach Nikki is her kindness. The whole reason Alyssa does cheerleading is because her sister Breanna and her cousins influenced her to do it. When it comes to cheerleading, Alyssa said she recommends energetic people to join.

According to Alyssa at practice they stretch, do their cheers, stunts and their routine. Alyssa’s favorite thing to do at practice is to work on their cheers, especially since when it comes to competition they cannot forget the moves to their cheers. Alyssa’s favorite thing about cheerleading is dance, in cheerleading there is a lot of choreography. They practice from 5:30-7:00 pm at Elm Street. Alyssa said the best thing about cheer is the competitions. Alyssa stated they practice for 1 ½ – 2 hours a day.

When it comes to some sports some of the teams do fundraising. The cheerleading squad sold donuts for their their new uniforms during football season. Alyssa stated if you are thinking about joining cheer the best time to join is during football or basketball season. Alyssa said the reason to join cheer is because it is a team building sport and you can gain participation in school functions.

When it comes to practicing for a sport some coaches choose to practice different places. The cheerleading coach Nikki decides to practice at Elm Street, but I asked Alyssa where her favorite place to practice is and she said the high school. Alyssa said she decided to join cheerleading because she wanted to gain friends and for she can be involved in school functions. Alyssa also said she joined cheerleading because she wanted to be part of a team. Alyssa said that their practices are very good, that they just finished learning their routine.

CRCS’s cheerleading squad has some very flexible cheerleaders. There most flexible cheerleaders are Keisey Tufino, Keilah Tufino, and Autumn Michalski. The CRCS cheerleading squad loves cheering for our Varsity Boys Basketball team.