Toys for Kids Game Night

Sophie Wojciechowski, Staff Writer

The Toys for Kids Game Night is being held this Friday, December 9th from 8-11pm in the cafeteria. The Game Night is open to any students grade 8-12 as long as the student brings $5 or a new, unwrapped toy. The toys and money will be donated to “local children who may not receive a Christmas otherwise. The toys we collect and the money we collect go back into the community,” as Mrs. Clawson says. Mrs. Clawson is in charge of the Game Night, and will be helped by Mr. Johnson, Miss Durland, and Mr. Baron. During the Game Night, students will be allowed to play games such as Apples To Apples, Headbands, Tele-picti-phone-ary, and more. The game Tele-picti-phone-ary is a game of Mrs. Clawson’s own creation in which you get a topic, write a sentence about the topic, pass it to the person on your left, they draw a picture, and the game continues like this until your card gets back to you. There will be free pizza donated from the Chamber of Commerce, who we donate the toys to. After food and games, we move to the gym and play Russian dodgeball and kickball. Students should come because “This is a great way to give back to the community, and its a really fun night as well. Plus you get food,” says Mrs. Clawson.

All the donations that are received during the Game Night are “kept locally and they help children who may not receive a Christmas otherwise.” The toy donations should be for children under the age of twelve. These toys should not be considered violent, but something you yourself would have wanted as a child. You can buy the toys anywhere and they do no have to be expensive at all, usually between $3-$7, but if you can afford more, extra donations are very much appreciated. Mr. and Mrs. Cower come from the Chamber of Commerce and collect the toys that night and parents can come and choose the toys that their children would enjoy. Despite this event being held by the French Club, it in no way helps the French Club, it is purely a charity event. The Club does this to ensure people who are not fortunate can receive a Christmas. Mrs. Clawson recalls when she was growing up, “One of my favorite parts growing up was coming downstairs and seeing the tree all lit up, and, you know, you hate to say it, but having presents underneath the tree, and to think that somebody might not have that experience breaks my heart, and to think that maybe I’m helping somebody have a little bit of a Christmas is a wonderful thing to do this time of the year.”

If you are free Friday night, come to the Game Night! This is a way for you to give back to your community while still having fun.

Update:

The Game Night was a success! Fifty people came, food was eaten, toys were donated, and fun was had. Mr. Baron, who was chaperoning his first game night said, “I loved it!” He enjoyed the fact that there were so many different kids there and he said he would do it again. There was a group of people playing the wii, a group playing Tele-picti-phone-ary, a group playing Apples to Apples, and a group playing Exploding Kittens. Exploding Kittens is similar to a kitten filled Russian Roulette. Miss Durland says, “Personally, Exploding Kittens is my new favorite game.” Halfway through the night, the Cowhers came and collected the donations and provided us with pizza. After food and games, a large portion of the group journeyed to the gym and played Kickball and Russian Dodgeball. Some students decided to stay in the cafeteria, finish off the food, and dance to the music that was being played. The Game Night concluded with everyone leaving in the pretty, cold snow.