Exclusive Interview with Mr. Butler

Justice Herrick, Staff Writer

I had an opportunity to interview one of my teachers, Mr. Butler. He is a Cuba Rushford High School teacher. He currently teaches seventh grade Social Studies, ninth grade Global Studies, and is a Sports in Society teacher. This is a new class introduced for the 2016-2017 school year. His hobbies are that he plays golf regularly and he loves to walk and bike with his wife. His favorite movies are Saving Private Ryan, Remember The Titans, and The Blindside. He doesn’t watch much television at all, but when he does he mostly watches sporting events and reruns of Seinfeld and King of Queens. I asked him questions about his new class and a wide range of sports topics.

I asked Mr. Butler to tell the readers about his new class, Sports in Society. He told me to tell people who are interested in the class, some information. This class is about tying in sports teams and the individuals that play them into society. Some of the topics that are covered in this class are integration of blacks into society and the Olympics. Mr. Butler’s opinion on the Kaepernick situation is that it is okay for him to do what he does. It shouldn’t be made a big deal though. According to him, sports tie in so well with society because a lot of people watch and love sports and want to get involved with issues. Sports tie into American life. He has some expectations for the new students coming into his classes. He needs you to use your iPad only when needed, don’t be distractive to other students, make sure to ask questions, and to participate in class. Participation goes a long way towards learning.

I asked him what his favorite major league sports team was and he said the New York Yankees. His favorite NBA team was the New York Knicks but now he likes the Cleveland Cavaliers. Mr. Butler said his favorite colligate teams are Notre Dame and St. Bonaventure. He said that if he could play any sports video game, he would play Madden 17. His favorite football play call is an offensive play called X Slant Action 32 Delay Dive. The play involves a fake throw to a wide receiver running a slant route. Then you immediately give it to the running back. He said that this gets a lot of yards due to the selling of the pass that didn’t happen. Mr. Butler’s favorite sports memory is when Notre Dame defeated Alabama in the 1973 National Championship game. Notre Dame won 24-23. His favorite sport is basketball. He grew up with the sport and played it through school and college. Mr. Butler has varying opinions on the world of sports.

notre-dame-logo
madden-cover