Rotten Tomasi’s- 1978’s Halloween

The opening shot that changed the horror game forever.

Roman Tomasi, Staff Writer

Hello fellow cinéphiles, this will be my first, in what I hope is a great many movie reviews for the CRCS Freelancers. You may be asking yourselves why me of all possible people would be selected for such a job of such admiration and prowess. To answer that I would simply tell you… I have seen FAR too many movies, many of which had little to no chance of ever becoming relevant in rational conversation, that is of course until the writing of this review. So, if you fancy yourself a connoisseur of movies or just clicked on this link because my illustrious name is plastered to it, you’ve come to the right place friends.

My first review was decidedly easy given the nature of the spooky season we are so very interested in. In short, I have selected John Carpenter’s 1978 Halloween. No, this isn’t the new one that just came out. We’re talking classics today people. Halloween is regarded as the model for American slasher films. In truth, it birthed the genre. The music alone has enough to twist your nerve, being composed entirely by John Carpenter with a sound board and a demented dream. The song is universally recognized, it’s been noted that even non-English speaking people have heard it at one time or another. The movie shows and very rarely tells. It’ll have you wondering if the infamous killer, “Michael Myers” is behind you. It makes you search the very farthest reaches of the screen to see if he’s present. The constant anxiety builds with the audience as the entire film comes to a climax with the stalking and killing of teenagers in suburban Illinois. The movie hits close to home in this aspect. The movie is set in middle America. A little town with a terrible storm coming. The only person that recognizes this walking massacre for what it is, happens to be Dr. Loomis, Michael’s physicist of 15 years. Loomis throughout the movie refers to Michael as “it” and most chillingly “… the evil.” You would think a mental health professional would attempt to help his patient, but all Loomis is set on is shooting it. The small town of Haddonfield received a murderous visit when he came home.

The more innocent characters (though not that innocent) are teenagers, young kids that are either babysitting, drinking, or hooking up. This is my one gripe with Halloween, it created all the worst horror tropes, example: the main protagonist is a nice, smart, responsible girl, Laury Strode. If you haven’t seen it, though I don’t know how, she’s the only survivor. Then you have Annie, the sarcastic dope using loudmouth, that really gets on your nerves towards the end of the film. Honestly on my first viewing I was waiting for her death with baited breath. Finally, you have the typical, absent brained American sweetheart cheer leader Lynda. Lynda is presented as a dunce and in reality, the antithesis of Laury, popular, attractive and very, very annoying. Every third word out of her mouth is “totally” said in such a way that you hope Michael comes to kill you, the viewer. I had zero emotional loss at her death. In summation most characters in this movie are, in my opinion, deserved of their fates.

Now this is where I really spoil the movie so if you’ve read this far without seeing it, (again why) stop dude. The movie ends with Loomis shooting Michael Myers six times, to which effect he falls over a two-story balcony into the back lawn. Laury then asks Loomis in a frightened damaged tone “was that the boogie man?” to which Loomis replies “… yes it was.” Loomis then proceeds to look down from the balcony and see Michael’s body, but it’s nowhere to be found. He’s escaped again. Another rampage set into motion. Que the music.

Rated on a scale of .1-10.0

7.2