How to Better Yourself & Others: Mental Health Awareness Day

Alyssa Bump, Staff Writer

Every year, October 10th comes around just like any other day. What many people don’t know is that it is National Mental Health Awareness Day. However, thanks to social media networks, like Twitter, October 10th is publicized for raising awareness on mental health. For one day, it is “cool” and socially accepted to speak about psychiatric health. This is one of the few days that people seem to care about mental health among the masses. But as the sun sets on October 10th, and the 10th becomes the 11th, mental health is once again forgotten and ignored.

It is almost impossible to make a riveting, worldwide change without starting small. This is why Dr. Stupp’s Critical Thinking class decided to make a change within our own community. The class saw an opportunity to further support students’ emotional health in Cuba-Rushford High School. The goal was to provide resources and guidance in a way that was comforting to students.

Dr. Stupp divided the class into groups to help spread awareness. Some were researchers, while others created posters, pamphlets, and film on the topic of suicide awareness. Roman Tomasi, along with Ben Frank, Chloe Farwell, and Vansh Patel, created a short film about the importance of kindness. This was shown on the morning announcements to remind students how much of an impact compassion has on people. I created a poster which revealed the signs of suicidal thoughts. This could potentially save a life. This week-long project opened the eyes of the students in Critical Thinking, and will also open the eyes of others who attend CRCS.

Since I am in Dr. Stupp’s class, I have had the privilege to learn and spread awareness about mental health. Suicide is a scary topic to most people, and because we live in a small town, we think it would never happen here. But the undeniable truth is that it could happen anywhere at anytime. What’s even worse is that I have learned that many of my peers show signs of being depressed, and even suicidal. A lot of teenagers and people in general miss the signs of others around them struggling. Most of us are caught up in our own struggles and we simply don’t have the time to check in on people we aren’t close to. But we should, and we need to. It is vital to our school and our community to be kind, to be aware, and to be a friend.