The Fluidity of Mental Health

Ali Barnes, Staff Writer

Mental health is a fluid concept unique to each individual. Though it can affect anyone, it is most prevalent among teens today. With the constant stress and expectations thrust upon them, many young people can unknowingly develop a myriad of mental illnesses and still live their lives as if nothing has changed. Even if a teen knows their mental health is in a bad place and that they need help, they most likely won’t tell their parent or guardian because they are worried they would see them in a different light. A lot of the modern youth suffer in silence in fear that they will be invalidated or won’t be taken seriously if their mental health fluctuates.

Throughout the year, ever student undergoes a different set of challenges that impact their mental stability in some way. At the moment, we are still in the beginning of the year which is usually chock full of stress and anxiety over tests, grades, or even meeting new people. Most of the material being learned at this point has never been addressed before, which causes students who learns a bit slower to be unnecessarily worried about failing. This is also the time when parents push their children to be involved and succeed. Occasionally, the everyday practices, regular club meetings, and constant load of homework piled upon us becomes far too overwhelming and students break down. Though there is an ever present air of anxiety surrounding the aspect of school, once the initial worry that comes with new changes fades away, students are generally more mentally stable and less worried.