Favorite Teachers Say Goodbye to Seniors

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sarah Clark, Senior Editor

With the school year ending, it is a time for students to reflect upon their high school careers and a major part of that is the people they are surrounded by. I surveyed the senior class to find out who their favorite teachers were and why, along with a memory they have with those teachers. Out of all the responses, there were four reoccurring teachers which were Mr. Ullman, Mrs. Schwab, Mr. Ellison, and Mr. Fee.

Many seniors chose Mr. Ullman who teaches U.S. History and Psychology as their favorite teacher. Many students had the consensus that they liked him because he is not afraid to say what was on his mind and is open to discussion from the class. One student said that their favorite memory of his class were the debates that took place. Another student said one of their favorite memories with him is that every day when that student sees him in the hallway, he will shout “hey girl” in the most feminine way possible. Yet another memory one student has with him is more sentimental, as when the student was sick and had to receive surgery, Mr. Ullman hugged them and told them everything was going to be okay. When asked what advice he would give to the graduating senior class, he said with his usual wit, “avoid the education profession like the plague.”

Another teacher that came up frequently was Mrs. Schwab, who teaches twelfth grade English (English 12 and College Comp 1510/1530) and Journalism. She has also taught a public speaking class. Many students said they liked Mrs. Schwab because she is always willing to help her students, whether it be an issue inside or outside of class. It also came up that many people liked the fact there was often food in her class. One student’s favorite memory with her was when they spilled markers all over the floor and it turned into a conversation about life. Overall, many students said that their favorite memory was just that her classes were entertaining, and she is funny. Mrs. Schwab is also one of my favorite teachers and my personal favorite memory with her would either have to be when she inducted me into the National Honors Society or driving back from Media Day last year. When asked about what advice she would give the graduating class, she responded with two simple words: be kind. She goes on to say that “you are never so much better than those around you that you can’t muster a small act of kindness. The moment you think you are, you’ve already become less of a person.”

Mr. Ellison was among the top mentions of the seniors and he teaches Spanish. Generally, many people liked him due to the fact that he looks out for all of his students and he “creates an atmosphere that feels like home” in his classes. Others also liked the fact that he is a “friend and a mentor” to all of his students and is always there for them. Students also remember the end of the year parties that happened in Spanish and really enjoyed those. One student’s favorite memory with Mr. Ellison is when there was the three-hour lockdown and “someone almost peed in a bucket.” The advice he would give to the graduating senior class is to obtain a passport and “see what the world has to offer.”

Mr. Fee was also mentioned many times by students. He teaches Global Studies and also a ninth-grade transition class, along with being a football coach. One student liked him because he taught the material well and could control the classroom, while another liked him because he was someone they could look up to and trust. Many students remember him for events that happened during football season and knowing him as a coach. One student said that one of their favorite memories with him were the debates that happened in his classroom. When asked what advice he would offer to the senior class, he said that there are three types of people in this world: “those who make things happen, those who watch things happen, and those who wonder what happened, so be a person that makes things happen.”