Spring Weather and We Started Breathing Heavier, Boys Varsity Track and Field

Julius Korytkowski, Staff

Boys Varsity Track and Field is one of the sports held at Cuba-Rushford during the spring. It includes a variety of events that can form to any one person’s liking. Track isn’t just running and events, it involves work outs every day, and a variety of technique training exercises to help the athletes compete at the highest level possibly. 

This year will be Mr. Fees third year as head coach, luckily he has the experience required to continue the team on a path of success. He started doing track in High school and later during his off season college football workouts featured speed work which is a part of track. In order to ready himself to be a track coach Mr. Fee took a step further, he studied under Mr. Sprague, a since retired teacher and the former head coach before Mr. Fee. Mr. Sprague became his guru and gave Mr. Fee an advanced guide into track. Mr. Fee incites the very best effort he can within each and every athlete. He said  “I think sports are microcosm of the real world, so by teaching these student athletes drive and determination in practice is going to stay with them for their entire lives.” Mr. Fee likes the individuality of track, normally it’s a different group of kids than in a team setting. From on the field motivation, to everyday scenarios he encourages players to do the best they can in anything. 

Since he took the wheel Mr. Fee has surrounded himself with two assistant coaches with vast amounts of experience to aid him in this endeavor. They are Mrs. Williams and Mr. Sabato. Firstly Mr. Sabato, is a man with 40 years plus experienced in Track and Field. He started to coach at Cuba simply by giving Mr. Sprague a call and he showed up at practice. Now he is working to benefit his athletes. From 40 years ago when he started to today he says “The kids and Track are the same but participation is lower,” meaning there are less according to numbers. When asked about his goals to coach these kids he answered, “to help the kids do as well as they can.” The other coach is Mrs. Williams. Her “goal as a coach is to help you meet your personal best, to enjoy the season, and learn what you can about working with your teammates.” She acts as the glue that holds this team together. With these three coaches, each with their own skill sets, players have all they need to do their best. 

This year there are a solid sixteen guys on the team. Among them we see some new faces such as Cody Findley, as well as some veterans like Tucker Rouse. Cody joined track recently since before he “ wasn’t exactly physically or mentally ready and [he] needed some time to get into the swing of things.” He hopes to do the best he can and hopefully place high enough to make it into sectionals. Cody is doing short distance sprints and is hoping to get into some long distance. Looking back he hopes he doesn’t regret waiting to join the track team. In another light we see Senior Tucker Rouse who has been with the program ever since his 9th grade year. The pressure is on because it is his last year in high school and he wants to go out with a bang. He is doing everything he can in order to improve his times.  Tucker said “I would be disappointed in myself if I didn’t.” Last year he was one of the few players at Cuba-Rushford to make it to sectionals. This goes to show his dedication and the effort he has put into the sport. Tucker is hoping that this year he can bring back a sectional banner to hang in the gym among the rest.

Not many guys stick with track throughout the year, even fewer put in the work to improve. These three coaches are doing their best to help those few student athletes who do want to improve. Through the coaches will help they only truly succeed with those willing to put in the effort. The clock is ticking for the athletes before the first meet begins and the race for sectionals starts. Only time will tell how well the student athletes will perform, quite literally.