Setting Up the Life of Gabby Dutton

Sophie Wojciechowski, Senior Editor

Gabrielle Dutton is a senior this year at Cuba-Rushford. She has been going to Cuba all her life, and next year, she is beginning her college career at Alfred University. She is going to pursue a degree in history and then go into law school. At home, she has four dogs and a bearded dragon named Demon, who her brother named. She also has three other siblings, a sister who is seven, a sister who is nine, and a sister who is in her twenties. Throughout her high school career, she has participated in volleyball and basketball.

For Gabby, volleyball has always been an important aspect of who she is. She began playing volleyball in elementary school when she went to a volleyball camp. She said that “The people there made it a lot of fun,” and she truly believed that volleyball was a sport that she could enjoy partaking in. When she finally got to middle school, she began playing it at the modified level and since then, it has been a big passion of hers. Last year, they lost in sectionals and the team took that loss hard. At the beginning of their season this year, they were playing the same way as before. Eventually, they began playing more as a team and they started to win. The team became a family, and they fought their way through sectionals and won. Gabby said that “it’s an amazing feeling as a team because we worked so hard to get where we were.”

Basketball, as well as volleyball, has been a part of Gabby since elementary school. Gabby began playing for PTO basketball in elementary school and she has stuck with it ever since. Basketball has taught her that while you may win a lot in one sport, you may not win as much in others. This year, however, she was unable to play due to her knee injury. Her knee began hurting last year during volleyball and it progressively got worse during that basketball season. She pushed through the pain and ignored it for most of the past year, but during this volleyball season, it had gotten much worse, so she finally got it checked out. She had to have an operation done on her knee to fix it, so she was unable to participate in basketball. The surgery itself did not affect her academically, whereas it did affect her sports career.

Gabby’s coaches for basketball and volleyball have watched her grow for a majority of her high school years. Mr. Tompkins has been coaching Gabby in volleyball for three years. He has watched her mature as both a person and as an athlete. Her skills have grown, she knows what she does well, and she is aware of what she needs to work on. She is a real team player and works well with her teammates. He said that “Gabby is the model in terms of kid’s maturing… She became a very positive feeling towards the team.” Gabby’s basketball coach, Mrs. McMahon, coached Gabby for only one year, but still saw her grow and mature as a person. In one incident, Gabby got into an accident and called Mrs. McMahon to tell her personally what had happened. The teamwork and maturity Gabby expresses on the court is respected by her coaches and is one of the main things that they have said about her. They have also said that she is intense, energetic, and determined as a person.

Gabby has been a vital part of our basketball and volleyball sports teams her entire high school career. She is a hard worker and a strong team player, and also a wonderful person overall. To all future high school students she says “Don’t procrastinate.” To all future volleyball athletes, she says “Be determined, work as a team. Your team has to become your family.” And to all basketball athletes, she says “Don’t get discouraged. As long as you keep working, you’ll be able to get to where you want to eventually.”