A New Kind of Rebel

Back to Article
Back to Article

A New Kind of Rebel

Julius Korytkowski, Staff

Teen Leadership is one of the only classes at Cuba-Rushford that benefits the community as a goal of the class. Mr. Voltz runs the class as a way to help those people in our community who need an extra hand. This year there are a total of five students who took the class and they are working at full potential to achieve some goals set throughout the year. Some of these goals include becoming better people or helping the community when people have had a setback. In Teen Leadership, the point of the class is for the students to help the community grow just as much as themselves. 

Mr. Volz is the eighth grade math teacher, but every other day for one period he runs the Teen Leadership class. “It is a curriculum-based course that works on public speaking, positive characteristics, and giving back to the community,” says Mr. Volz. Each year in his class, Mr.Volz has two hopes for each of his students. One being each student learns to lead by setting a good example themselves, whether it is in the classroom or out of school. The second intention of the class is for students to see that small groups can make a huge difference in the world. Mr. Volz shows the students how through volunteering can promote bigger things and accomplish both these goals. Rachel Dyche, a student in Teen Leadership says the best part of the class is the community service, which gets her excited to know she is making a difference in the world. Anna Belcer joined the class for a different reason. She joined to help anyone who needs it, with the help of Mr. Volz and her classmates she is able to do just that. This creates a mood much like a sports team in that these five students have the same goal, to help people. Mr. Volz says every year it varies from class to class, but this year his five kids are grinding to do as much as possible before the school year comes to a close. The fund-raisers are partly major occurrences such as natural disaster reliefs as well as events going on in the community. In the end all the fund raisers such as hat days, Bald for Bucks, and quite a few others go to those people in the world who have been knocked down and need a helping hand.  

Every year it is required for the students do a project on personal growth to become a better person as a whole. Mr. Volz says “the students are required to pick one aspect of their lives that the student sees as a weakness.” Once the students have picked their weakness per say the project begins. They begin working on data based goals they can set and follow through on. Then at the end of the year they give a speech to the class on how they accomplished their goal, and where do they plan to go from there. The goal of this project is to help the students grow in skills needed to be positive members of the community. 

As a whole, the students in the class this year all enjoy the class and agree the class has benefited them. For Jessica Dyche (another Teen Leadership Student) the class made her realize there are people in need of help at all times. Or Anna Belcer who can now set an example for her peers to join in and help anyone who needs help. All the students agree the work they put in will have long term effects on themselves as well as the community. With kids like these our community can not only flourish but thrive. 

The biggest event the Teen Leadership Class throws comes in March. The week beforehand the class does a week in our school when you can wear the cancer awareness color for the day. March 9th is the set day  for Bald for Bucks. If you sign up you can have your hair cut for free and donated to patients at Roswell Cancer Institute while at the same time you can raise money to donate to cancer research as well. Each student at our high school has gotten an email from Mr. Voltz and I implore you to check it out.