Lil Pump – Album Review

Back to Article
Back to Article

Lil Pump – Album Review

Dana Hatch, Staff Writer

As a huge fan of the rap genre, I am here to review and let you know about some music. Gazzy Garcia, known professionally as Lil Pump, is an American rapper and songwriter. He was born on August 17, 2000, in Miami, Florida. Lil Pump is currently only 17 years old, which is a huge surprise to fans. His music had rose to popularity in late 2015 on Soundcloud, gaining millions of streams on the site. His story, his appearance, and his style are all things we’ve seen from artists like XXXTenacion, Lil Uzi Vert, and other upcoming rap freshmen. It isn’t his fault that he’s not the only rapper to spawn on Internet sites like Soundcloud, but much of his output hasn’t made him stand out too much. With ties to modern rap icons like Gucci Mane & Chief Keef, this lemonade tornado has been given ample opportunities to really prove himself, but this first major release is extremely bland. Now in late 2017, Lil Pump has finally released his first debut album. His album Lil Pump had came out on October 13, 2017 and blew up quickly. For being such a small known artist, he definitely made people know his name with the album. It had beat dozens of artists on charts and stayed at the number one spot for weeks. The album has 15 songs, with even a couple of his biggest songs throughout the years. “Flex Like Ouu”, “Gucci Gang”, “Molly”, and “D Rose” are the top known songs on the album. While Lil Pump is asking listeners, someone in his life, or anyone what they have to say. He is beginning a fifteen track saga of not really saying a whole lot but at the instead simply saying the same thing many, many times over. For example, on the previously referenced track “What U Sayin’”, Pump repeats the line “What you gotta say” over a dozen times throughout the song encasing this project’s staple themes of wealth, drugs and trapping.
The album in general is mostly about Lil Pump’s journey so far throughout his music career. It’s not very big on being about one specific thing. My favorite songs on the album, would also probably be “Gucci Gang”, and “Flex Like Ouu”, and “Back”, which featured another rap artist, Lil Yachty. Even though two of those are the most known songs on the whole album, they’re still really good. I feel like everything did in fact fit and work together well. Even with the amount of people who collaborated on the album, I think it worked out well. This is his first album, and for his first, I believe it’s already always going to be one of the best out of all his albums, even in the near future.
Overall, I highly recommend Lil Pump and his first debut album. Even if you are not so big on rap, Lil Pump’s music in general is so easy to get hooked on.