Let’s Play The Sims Way

Have fun making friends! Become famous! Rule the Underworld or become an Alien- no matter what you choose, your Sims will have no choice but to enjoy the ride!

Keeanna Johnson, Staff Writer

The Sims 4 is an interesting, unique and overall a fantastic game that I personally enjoyed having the honor of playing.

When it first came out I was ecstatic to play following how much I loved playing the earlier generations The Sims 2 and 3. A game based on human life is outstanding in its own way! You can create people, or Sims, with personalities, goals, and their true meaning of life, no matter how much your Sim hates the idea. You can create the perfect family or a family that despises everyone, you can create a snob who’s main aspiration is to be rich or have a slob glutton who needs a babysitter because they love digging for food in the trash cans. Whatever you imagine, your Sims will bend at a click of your mouse.

In the past 17 years (2000 being the release year), The Sims (including 2-3 and now 4) has won three awards; two times for the Game of the Year award and once for Best Simulation. Even though from time to time a glitch or bug pops up in the game, the developers are always there with an update to fix the game as much as possible to continue smooth gameplay. Even though the game is meant for all genders and gamers, female gamers have been popping up everywhere to get a whack at this worldwide game. Maxis; The Sims Studio did an wondrous job as creating a game that gives it gamers the possibility to actually create life- even though they’re just people created electronically and not actually real. I’ve created close to twenty Sims, including those from my Sims 3 game.

What makes The Sims 4 more fantastic and better than any other games? The Sims 4 is based off real life and also a mixture of science and magic. It’s science fiction and fantasy combined into one giant game. It has no themes and no limits! Vampires roam the streets at night and during the early mornings, while Aliens are disguised are your everyday friendly neighbor. Vampires fight for supremacy then erase all thoughts from eavesdropping Sims and Aliens abduct you randomly with no warnings; you can even suit up and travel to their home planet! This makes any Sim with paranoia afraid to leave their house without garlic or even fearing that they will be sucked into the sky while drinking a smoothie on the beach. This is what makes The Sims different from any other game, whether it be professional or amateur, and takes life to a whole other level of complexity.

Just like any other game, The Sims does have its moments of disappointing fans of the franchise. It’s not the fact of everything not fitting together which the developers are great at doing; everything fitting but also not fitting in a good way- it mainly has to do with game errors. When messing around and experimenting on the game, whether it be by fans, gamers, or even the Sim Gurus themselves, glitches will start to reveal itself. These glitches are mostly harmless for the most part and can either make the game experience more fun or ruin the game completely. Down the line however it can get extremely bad if not fixed quickly- even to the point you get kicked out the game. This isn’t always a bad thing as it acts as a cool down for the game; this helps the game reboot itself safely. Although some may complain especially if they didn’t get to save the game where it cut off of. But with enough complaints and nagging, the Sim Gurus, or creator, will immediately work day and night to fix said glitches, however, only to have another problem arise later on.

This problem also goes with the games Expansions and Stuff Packs that can be bought to add on to the base game. The difference between these two though are expansion packs expand the game and gives it more life. On any of The Sims franchise base game all you have are your Sims and the essentials; houses, food, money, cars, etc…. but expansions packs can get you vampires, aliens, mermaids, celebrities- anything your heart desires! It also adds to the already existing neighborhoods with even newer neighbors and more places to travel too. While Stuff Packs are add-ons and only gives you clothes and hair or furniture, while Expansion Packs can give you that and everything mentioned above and more!

The Sims 4 is the game of life with twists. You can start life as a young adult, an adult, or an elder on the brink of death. You can make them rule the night or walk around hiding their green or neon blue skin. Have your Sims be evil and work their way up the career branch to the ultimate boss of the criminal world, become a peace talker of the new world, or have your Sims suffer “natural” causes that you create to make life harder for them…no matter what you do, your Sims will have no choice to act at the click of your finger and hope for the best.

Overall, The Sims 4 and its other older sims games are a must have to not just see how far the technology has come but to play as a stress reliever and to have fun creating havoc or trying the cool challenges from Black Widow, to Generations, to even the Island challenge. If it’s not on your list of things to buy then you are surely missing out on the game of life.