Who You Gonna Call? Ghost Review!

Sarah Clark, Staff Writer

In the summer of 2016, the film Ghostbusters, directed by Paul Fieg, was released for the public’s viewing. The movie itself is about a group of four girls who go into business together to try and stop a paranormal threat from destroying New York City which is brought on from a hotel worker seeking to make people feel the pain he felt from society. Before this, Paul Fieg has directed various other movies, such as Spy, The Heat, and Bridesmaids. His newest film, Ghostbusters, was intended to be a reboot of the original film Ghostbusters directed by Ivan Reitman that came out in 1984. Well known actors such as Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, and Kate McKinnon are featured in the newer film. Bill Murray, “Dr. Peter Venkman” from the original film even makes an appearance in this production as Martin Heiss. Ghostbusters was available for viewing in theaters on July 11th and all together collectively pulled in about 229.1 million US dollars after the 144 million US dollars that was required to make the film. However, the earnings from the movie were not enough for a sequel.

Overall, one of the best parts of the film was the element of comedy that exists within it. Throughout the movie, there are a lot of “gag jokes,” as well as jokes referencing the original movie. Some would describe the humor as “crude” which is why the movie is rated as PG-13. Another good thing about the movie was some parts of the soundtrack. “Girls Talk Boys” written by 5 Seconds of Summer on the album has “old Ghostbuster vibes” with the beat but overall is original and well placed. One of the best scenes was with Bill Murray, when he was known as an expert of the paranormal and was trying to debunk the videos that the ghostbusters have posted, claiming them as fake. He then goes to their workplace and demands to see the ghost that the girls have captured. The girls have not figured out how to properly store the ghost and it would be unwise to release it, but Erin, wanting to impress Martin Heiss, releases the ghost and sets it on the city. In the process of the ghost being let out, Martin Heiss is flung out of the window in his chair.

Although the movie is mostly good, there are some complaints. I did not like some songs on the soundtrack, as it feels as if it is just an old, revised version of some of the old soundtrack of the original Ghostbusters . For example, in Fall Out Boy’s single “Ghostbusters (I’m Not Afraid)” featuring Missy Elliot, personally, I feel as if the chorus could have been written better, but it could have been overlooked if Missy Elliot’s verse had been thought through more.

When it was first heard that there would be a new reboot movie of the original, the 2016 Ghostbusters got some pretty bad backlash from the public, some being due to the new female characters. Some of the old fans were outraged when it was announced that in the reboot was staring female leads instead of male leads. Reacting to this however, the director Paul Fieg decided to include another part in the script. Early in the movie when the ghostbusters publish a YouTube video, they receive horrid comments on how “females cannot catch ghosts.” This scene was unscripted, as Paul Fieg decided to face the backlash head on and show the public that it does not matter if the lead roles are held by females or not. Another reason the film got so much backlash was because people did not believe it could do justice to the original, which is somewhat true. I feel as if the film did not do justice to the original film even though there were jokes pertaining to the original. However keeping in mind that the new Ghostbusters is a reboot of the old film, I’d say that it was an alright and very humorous restart of the movie.

Overall, if you’re looking to enjoy something funny or just trying to select a movie to watch, I’d suggest picking Ghostbusters. Due to its comedy and the fact that it makes several references to the original, I’d even urge fans of the original movie to watch this film. I would rate the film itself 7/10 stars just based on the fact that it is a great movie, despite having female leads, as some still bicker about. It’s an excellent movie to watch if you’re just trying to have a quick laugh with a great ending.