The Life and Times of Sidney Crosby

Justice Herrick, Staff Writer

Sidney Crosby is a hockey player for the Pittsburgh Penguins in the NHL. He has been an all star five times and is currently the captain of the team. Crosby has an interesting backstory and has many achievements to his name.

Sidney Crosby was born in Halifax, Nova Scotia on August 7th, 1987. He wears number 87 due to him being born 8/7/87. He was born to Troy and Trina Crosby. Crosby is not an only child though; he has a sister named Taylor. His father was a goaltender for the Verdun Junior Canadians, which was in the QMJHL. Sidney grew up in Cole Harbor, Nova Scotia though. His dad was drafted by the Montreal Canadians in 1984, but chose to give up hockey. Growing up, Sidney was a huge Montreal Canadians fan, just like his father. His favorite player growing up was Steve Yzerman. Sidney started hockey at two by learning how to shoot the puck into the family’s washer and dryer and learned to skate at three. His parents have said that “In fact, it has been said that he badly damaged the washer and dryer by repeatedly shooting pucks at it!” He began playing hockey on teams at age 6 and could hold his own against players older than him. He began playing for youth league teams and joined the Dartmouth Subways, a major midget team made up of 15-17 year olds. When he joined, he was 14! He then scored 217 points in the season for them and led the team to a second place finish in the Air Canada Cup. He did his schooling at Astral Drive Junior High School in Cole Harbor also. He was a straight A student there, while juggling a hockey career, at the same time. His vice-principal said he was “an amazing role model who was really kind to students in the learning centre and to special needs kids.” He then transferred to the Shattuck – Saint Mary’s boarding school in Minnesota to continue his hockey career. While playing for their hockey team, he scored 162 points in 57 games to lead them to the championship. After this tournament, he was selected first overall by the Rimouski Océanic in the QMJHL.

In his first exhibition game with the Océanic, he scored eight points, which led his teammates to nickname him Darryl. In his first season, his won the Jean Béliveau Trophy as the leading scorer, the Michel Brière Memorial Trophy as the MVP, and the RDS/JVC Trophy as the rookie of the year. In the playoffs, they defeated the Shawinigan Cataractes in the quarterfinals. They then lost to the Moncton Wildcats in the next round. He then turned down an offer from the WHA, which was an up and coming professional hockey league. The deal was worth 7.5 million, but he decided to continue towards his path for the NHL instead. The next season he was an offensive firepower scoring 168 points in 62 games. He won his second consecutive Béliveau Trophy as well as the Brière Trophy again. They won the QMJHL title with a win over the Halifax Mooseheads. They were invited to the Memorial Cup, but were shutout to the London Knights. He was then drafted first overall, in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft, by the Pittsburgh Penguins.

In Crosby’s first year in the NHL, he scored 39 goals and 102 points. He became the youngest player to ever score 100 or more points in a season. He was also the first rookie to accumulate over 100 penalty minutes in a season. Crosby scored his first hat trick, in his second season, against the rivals the Philadelphia Flyers. He finished this season with 36 goals and 120 points to win the Art Ross Trophy. He currently holds the record for youngest scoring champion in any sport. Crosby was named team captain on May 31st, 2007. At the time, he was the youngest player to receive captaincy status ever, but was recently broken by Connor McDavid. He also won the Hart Memorial Trophy and the Lester B. Pearson Award. In his third season, he scored 72 points, due to being injured for about half the season. Though he still led his team to the Stanley Cup Final, they lost to the Detroit Red Wings in 6 games.

The next season was trying to get back to the Final. Crosby scored 103 points as the Penguins entered the playoffs. The Penguins defeated the Philadelphia Flyers, the Washington Capitals, and the Carolina Hurricanes to advance to the Final for a second straight year. They faced their old rival, the Red Wings, again. This was a hard fought series but the Penguins won their third Stanley Cup championship in their history. They won in seven games and their goaltender, Marc-Andre Fleury, made a huge save with no time left to seal the championship.

The next few seasons, after the cup win, were full of disappointment though Crosby didn’t disappoint. The team didn’t win a second round series until 2013 and were a mess in the playoffs. Crosby though scored 66 points in 2010, 37 points in an injury filled year in 2011, 56 points in 2012, and 104 points in 2013. Pittsburgh finally made to the third round in 2013. The lost to the Boston Bruins in a sweep though. In 2014, Crosby finished third in the scoring lead with 84 points, behind only John Tavares and Jamie Benn. The Penguins were defeated in the first round, once again, by the New York Rangers. The next season, fearing that this might be their final chance at another Stanley Cup win, traded for Phil Kessel.

The next season, Crosby started horribly scoring just six goals in 29 games. Soon the Penguins hired Mike Sullivan as their next head coach. He immediately changed the locker room, installing a speed first type of hockey. After this change, Crosby outscored all players for the rest of the season, finishing with 85 points and 36 goals. The penguins defeated the New York Rangers, the President Trophy winning Washington Capitals, and the Tampa Bay Lightning to advance to the cup final for the first time since 2009. They faced the San Jose Sharks, in which they won the series in six games. This marked the Penguins fourth championship and Crosby won Playoff MVP. Currently Crosby has 21 goals and 33 points in 24 games played in this current season. Internationally, Crosby has won 2 gold medals for Canada in the 2010 and 2014 Olympics.

Crosby has won many awards. In total, he has won 2 Art Ross Trophies, 3 Lester B. Pearson awards, 2 Hart Memorial Trophies, 5 all-star selections, 2 Stanley Cups, the Maurice Richard Trophy, the Conn Smythe Trophy and the ESPY award for the best NHL player 7 times.

In conclusion, many say that Crosby is the face of the NHL currently. He is a once in a lifetime player, who is almost guaranteed a spot in the Hall of Fame. He has an interesting place in hockey lore and many name him one of the best players of all time.