Harry Styles review

Heather Becker, Staff Writer

Six years ago the world was exposed to the boy band One Direction in season 7 of The X Factor, now they have lost a member and have been on hiatus since the beginning of 2016. The current members, Louis Tomlinson, Niall Horan, Liam Payne, and Harry Styles have all created solo music and are doing quite well. The former band mate, Zayn Malik, left in 2015 and created his own album named Mind of Mine. While Niall, Louis, and recently Liam have not released albums, but released singles. Louis collaborated with Steve Aoki to create the song “Just Hold On” and Niall released two songs called “This Town” and “Slow Hands.” Then Liam recently came out with a song called “Strip That Down”. Lastly, Harry started in a film named Dunkirk and gave fans a treat by giving them his first solo album named Harry Styles in which he personally wrote. Besides this however Styles wrote 20 songs for One Direction which includes “Story of my Life”, “Night Changes”, and “Perfect.” It was released on May 12, 2017 and everyone around the world seems to like it because it has hit number one in many countries.
Harry writes on things that happened to him in the past and what he has learned by these adventures. He states, “I wanted to write my stories, things that happened to me.” The 10 songs he wrote for the album are about a various amount of things from women to life in general. His main themes are love, heartbreak, and life. These themes Styles knows pretty well because people that dislike him called him a “womanizer” and he also had some relationships with celebrities such as Taylor Swift and Kendall Jenner. One common song Styles released was Sign of the Times which was put on air on April 7, 21017. Another song released was Sweet Creature which premiered on May 2, 2017. Styles included some things that give the album many good attributes.
The album has many qualities that other enjoy along with me. I really enjoy the personal touches in each song. I like this because it seems like Harry is opening up to us about his past and trying to teach us a lesson in certain songs and states, “I just realized that I find writing to be very therapeutic — I think it’s when I allow myself to be most vulnerable.” I also like the rock like genre and how it sounds as well as how catchy his songs are. They make you want to sing and possibly dance along with the songs. My favorite thing about the album though is how creative he got with the different type of sound effects. Many songs had some type of sound effect to give it a feeling of suspense or curiosity. This is displayed in a few songs on the album. The major on is “Sign of the Times”, but there are a couple other songs that have effects as well. They are “Only Angel,” “Two Ghosts,” “Carolina,” and “Woman.” Sign of the Times to me personally is talking about a failing relationship and at least one of the participants realizes this and wants to end it. In the song it says, “You look pretty good down here/
But you ain’t really good…” it also says, “Just stop your crying/ It’s the sign of the times/ We gotta get away from here/ we gotta get away from here…” These lines prove that the current relationship is falling apart and they need to break up. The song “Two Ghosts” is on the similar path to that. The song is about two people in a relationship that do not communicate and argue constantly. The lyrics, “We’re just two ghosts standing in the place of you and me/ trying to remember how it feels to have a heartbeat…” describes how the couple feels during this toxic relationship. “Carolina” and “Woman” talk about the two types of relationships with women. “Woman” talks about the jealous feelings he has since there is another man, but the desirable urge to have the girl as his own. “I’m selfish, I know/But I don’t ever want to see you with him/… He’s right where I should, where I should be/ But you’re making me bleed…” “Carolina” has a different demeanor, he is describing a girl that he met who happens to be from the Carolinas. The song makes it seem like he likes or liked her and Styles wants her to know, but does not really know how to tell her. He constantly repeats the phrases, “ She’s a good girl/ She’s such a good girl/ She’s a good girl…” He also says, “How would I tell her that she’s all I think about?/Well, I guess she just found out…” However, these is one thing I do not like about the album.
In this album, I do not like one song and it is called “Even Since New York.” I do not know exactly why I don’t like it, but the song just gets under my skin. Plus, I do not understand the song and cannot find a message to it which I like to try to find. On the other hand, this song does make the personal feeling of the album fit. Also, the more upbeat tone makes the album seem not as gloomy. This is why I give this album 9.5 out of 10. It has a good balance of sound effects and musical inspirations while having an unique writing style and personal touches.
In conclusion, I highly recommend this album if you enjoy rock music and creative writing. This new solo album proves Harry Styles is not just teen heartthrob, he is a talented singer/songwriter. He has grown from a teenish boy band member to a mature respected artist. That one audition six years ago on The XFactor changed lives and the music industry forever.